Posts for: June, 2019
How your podiatrists in Albany, NY, can help with your diabetic feet issues
If you are diabetic, you may already know how dramatically it can affect your body. While every part of you needs a little extra care when you have this condition, it's especially true when it comes to the feet. To give your feet the care they deserve, you need the expertise of your local podiatrists. Fortunately, Dr. March Ginsburg and Dr. Steven Lam of Capital Region Foot Care in Albany, New York, are here to help!
More about diabetic foot care
If you have diabetes, you are not alone. In fact, according to the American Diabetes Association, over 29 million people in the United States along suffer from the condition. Diabetes compromises your immune, circulatory, and nervous system, causing changes all over your body, including your feet.
Some of the changes you may notice include:
- Small blisters and cuts won't heal
- Diabetic ulcers and other open sores suddenly develop
- There is stabbing nerve pain in your toes and feet
- Decreased circulation as lead to poor skin tone and color
The symptoms listed above can quickly turn quite serious, with lack of blood flow leading to amputations, and loss of feeling in your feet making it easier to injure yourself and not know it.
So, how do you manage diabetic feet? It begins with a program of self-care that includes,
- Examining your feet regularly using a small hand mirror—make sure to check the tops, sides, and soles of your feet for blisters, cuts, and other injuries.
- Washing, drying, and moisturizing your feet every day to keep your skin from becoming dry and cracked.
- Applying antibiotic cream to any open cuts or injuries to protect against infection
- Bandaging any injuries to aid in healing
- Scheduling regular visits with your podiatrist for professional foot examinations, medications, and treatment for any foot issues or injuries.
Don’t wait for small foot issues to become big foot problems. To find out more about managing your diabetic feet, call Dr. March Ginsburg and Dr. Steven Lam at Capital Region Foot Care in Albany, NY, today at (518) 465-3515.